Theo Bessem is a Worship Leader, Songwriter and Recording Artist. She was born in Brighton, England to Ghanaian parents. At age 7, she and her family left England and moved to Lusaka, Zambia where her father had obtained employment. The family then moved to Ghana in 1976 and it is here (at age 15) that Theo found out, to her surprise, that she could sing!
With this new revelation, which came as a complete shock to THEO (since her family is in no way musical), Theo joined her school choir and sang in musical performances like Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Joseph”, performed by fellow school mates. Having given her life over to the Lord at an early age and now recognizing her gift, THEO joined one of the renowned gospel groups in Ghana called “Joyful Way Incorporated” and ministered with the group for a number of years before returning to the UK in 1987.
It was in the year 1994 that Theo realized that God was giving her the ability to write songs. She seemed to be receiving songs in her spirit as complete downloads or in snippets. The songs came at random times: while driving, during or after the preaching of a sermon, in the early hours of the morning… To date, Theo has six recording projects under her belt:
- “Egya” (meaning “Father”) – Single
- “Shoulder to Shoulder” – Single
- “This Far by Faith” – Debut Album of 10 tracks, 8 of which were written by Theo
- “Created to Worship” – Second Album of mostly self-penned inspiring and uplifting songs from the heart
- “Living God” – EP with 3 self-penned songs
- “Be Lifted High” – Single – a powerful worship song recorded live at a concert with Sinach in Vancouver on November 3, 2019
Quote from purchasers of “Created to Worship” CD: “This CD is truly a breath of fresh life for us. From the free-wheeling, Spirit led worship and dance to the organ/piano hymns of another generation, we see Him opening doors to change, but change to bring Him glory, not just because we desire livelier music” – Dave and Joan. Theo has had the privilege of leading worship and ministering in song for over 25 years in various countries, churches and conferences with international headline speakers. Some of the places she has ministered at include the following:
- The DMI Awards, London UK (1989)
- The Windrush Black Achievements Awards, London UK (2003)
- The Ghana Professional Achiever’s Awards, London UK (2003)
- One Voice Conference, Vancouver Canada (2010)
- Voices Together, Rogers Arena, Vancouver Canada (2013)
- Missionsfest, Vancouver, Canada 2014
Theo now resides in Vancouver, Canada where she and her family migrated to in 2013 from England. She holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Ancient and Contemporary Worship Studies from Christ College (now PLBC), and is currently the Director of Music and Arts at Calvary Worship Centre, a multi-cultural, non-denominational church with over 1000 members from over 75 nations. She has held this position for over 10 years and has been instrumental in mentoring worship leaders and teams both at Calvary and beyond. Many testify that there is a tremendous anointing when Theo leads worship. She considers herself blessed to be used as a servant of the most High King in leading His people to His throne in worship. Her continued passion is to see the Body of Christ come together to experience true worship on a highly intimate level.
Theo can be reached at email@example.com